- The passing of Gough Whitlam
- History and legacy
- Mrs Margaret Whitlam AO
- Whitlam Prime Ministerial Collection
- Treasures from the Collection
- Whitlam Government Achievements
- 1974 Joint Sitting
- Whitlam and China
- Whitlam and Western Sydney
- Graham Freudenberg Donation
- Lecture by The Hon. Michael Kirby
Whitlam Government Achievements
WARNING: This page may contain the names and images of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who are now deceased.
The Whitlam Government brought about a vast range of reforms in the 1071 days it held office between December 5, 1972 and November 11, 1975. In its first year alone, it passed 203 bills - more legislation than any other federal government had passed in a single year. Whitlam reformed not only Australia's laws and institutions, but the way it sees itself. This online exhibition provides a chance to explore some of the achievements and reforms enacted by Prime Minister Whitlam and the government he led. Click on any of the icons below to explore that policy area in greater depth.